Thursday, January 1, 2015

Supplying the quantities they require needed more time than I gave it. Imagine, 40 copies plus those to the defendants each should have that same appendix I listed its contents in the petition. The appendix is not supposed to be arranged the way I arranged it but I was trying to use the chronological order as a substitute to numbering the pages which required me (as the only way that keeps the page references in the petition correct) to print a copy of each document, number each page by hand then scan back and produce the required number of copies.
Anyway, the reason I was squeezed in time is that a petition for a writ of certiorari is supposed to be about why the case should be taken by the court not about the case itself and that separation does not exist in a case like mine related to the actions taken by the courts as much as it does in cases involving separate questions on the merits. So I lost much time trying to plan that separation and then after I couldn't come with a clear plan for that I took the approach of doing things on the go piece by piece.
But even if I was successful in that I would still be in violation of the page size and other things (although not the 9000 word limit)related to the rule I was supposed to follow which I did not notice until days before the due date (was confused by the direct reference to rule 33.1 instead of rule 33 and take things from there.While it seems that generally in law there is no text body attached directly to a rule that contains branches, I still think that probably needed to be a reference to the rule in general since if you are explaining how the rules should be followed and not citing a reference in an argument).
while some of the requirements of that rule like "Spiral, plastic, metal, or string bindings may not be used." (rule 33. 1 (c)) are hard to follow because they do not seem to allow any commonly used option , others like (The text of the document must appear on both sides of the page) (rule 33. 1 (b)) I cannot understand at this moment to begin with.


Here is an interesting reading about the issue.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment